[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Filter in home view

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:29:31 EDT 2011

Hi Simon,

On 18 Aug 2011, at 16:57, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On 08/16/2011 07:25 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:

>>> And this is how it looks like then in the home view:
>>> http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/filter_search/home-view.png
>>
>> Gary, with that change I think the greying out does work nicely. What is
>> about the 'unfocusing' of the entry you mentioned yesterday? When would
>> this be needed, only after start, but then it grabs focus when for
>> example switching the views? Can you flash that out a bit more, I am
>> myself a bit unclear on that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>
> I want to do tarballs today and patch wise Gonzalo's Feature looks good. I was a bit worried about the possible issue described above. How shall we proceed? Do you think it is that much of an issue? As I said, I am a bit unsure myself.

OK I had a bit of a review yesterday and experimented with the old favorites filter implementation (before it was disabled just prior to an old release). The previous filter's negative sides were that: 1) it switched the user from the favourites view to the list view for presenting the results (not obvious for a novice user how to escape that view); 2) that the list view hides all non-matching activities completely from the view (easy to end up with a blank set of filter results if you accidently press a couple of random keys). Gonzalo's feature implementation avoids both those issues, and even allows the ghosted items still to be interacted with, so I'm happy so see it land.

Just to confirm, the new filter visual effect is also used in the neighbourhood and group views for consistancy?

Regards,
--Gary