[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Record UI

tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de
Sat Apr 2 15:25:32 EDT 2011

On Mar 31, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Art Hunkins wrote:

> Comments/suggestions regarding the Record UI:
>
> 1) I think Tom's ideas (http://www.flatlandfarm.de/blog/?p=283) are right on target in re: audio recording. +1.
>
> 2) I'm unclear as to whether the oscilloscope ("measure-type") display is a preview only,
That's exactly how it was intended.

> or is active during the entire record process.
During the recording process I'd prefer a graph that displays what has been recorded similar to the one in Audacity or other recording tools.

> If the latter, I fear for audio glitches (and if Record ends up audio-glitching, you are likely to hear from me about it indefinitely!) Probably safer would be to display oscilloscope only in preview mode, for setting appropriate record level, and demoing (or otherwise exploring) other aspects of sound. (By "preview" here, I refer to testing the record level.)
Of course the recording itself should not be affected by any visuals.

> 3) Let's keep in mind that Audacity is available as a Suger activity - at least from the command line. It's full-featured, can edit soundfiles and be used for all kinds of sound demos and displays. In my view, we should not worry that Record doesn't include these features.
Audacity's UI under Sugar is absolutely unusable. The texts often are too big for their boxes. Either they protrude or they are cut. Sometimes they are way too small. In all cases they are unreadable.
Besides that, Audacity also is not very stable under Sugar, it often crashed on me.
In my opinion Audacity is also way too complex for smaller children, even if all the UI issues were fixed.

> 4) I dislike the lips icon intensely. Besides otherwise being misleading, it suggests *voice* recording only (and probably only speech). The "ear" seems much more appropriate, or (for that matter) a stylized waveform or oscilloscope display. I see the primary application as the recording of environmental (often nature) sounds, i.e., exploring the *world* of sound.

Why not use the microphone icon that is currently used in Record's audio section?