[Sugar-devel] Introspection packages (was: Re: Patch review request for ticket #2290)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 7 09:30:53 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 14:48, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Tomeu Vizoso's message of Tue Sep 07 14:01:38 +0200 2010:
>
>> > Then someone should get started on packaging the introspection stuff
>> > for Debian, Ubuntu and if necessary Fedora (the distributions supported
>> > by sugar-jhbuild). :-P ;)
>> I'm not too worried about it being packaged in those distros,
>
> Not sure I understand that part of the sentence. Do you mean you expect
> it to be packaged by someone soon? If so, who resp. where?

Sorry for not being clear, what I meant is that GNOME Shell is stated
for inclusion in GNOME 2.34 and that it's going to require a fairly
updated stack, including introspection. I expect major distros that
have a time-based release cycle to follow suit.

There are other changes in GNOME that are going to require apps to
drop deprecated APIs and their replacements won't be available as
static bindings. So either people suddenly start writing static
bindings, packaging them and maintaining the existing ones, or they
will have to port to introspection.

The situation is not as rosy as it could be because people are
starting late to make these changes, but kicking out so many apps is
probably out of question.

>> it only may not get to the stable/testing release of your choice :(
>
> Given that 0.92 is going to be rather disruptive due to API breakage
> being forced upon us by GNOME, I don't think requiring packages from
> non-default sources is a blocker, as long as these are maintained well
> enough (e.g. timely security updates).

I expect packages to be updated very often because of new feature and
bugfix development until GNOME 2.34 is out.

Regards,

Tomeu