[Sugar-devel] Taking over Browse maintainership

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Wed Jun 16 04:08:06 EDT 2010

[Resend because mail with non-subscribed sender address was silented dropped]

Since Browse has been unmaintained for several months [1] now, Lucian and I finally decided to step up as maintainers. This does NOT mean the current Browse will see a lot of improvements or even just bug fixes, as we are both already rather busy.
We will, however, handle patches to the best of our abilities and maybe do some minor changes (e.g. include the CAcert root certs) or trivial fixes.

For those who don't know yet: Lucian is working [2] on an abstraction layer that will allow Browse to use WebKit (or xulrunner, should anyone want to ;) ) as part of this years GSoC. He already worked on adding SSB support [3] to Browse during last years GSoC. I'll let these facts speak for themselves. :)

If someone else would like to maintain (or co-maintain) Browse, please speak up now.

Sascha

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Development_Team/Release/Modules&diff=44090&oldid=37446
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2010/Abstract_Browser
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Webified