[Sugar-devel] GNOME and protecting Sugar --

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue Jun 15 22:37:33 EDT 2010

> Rather than preventing breakage at all costs, which is rather hard, we
> could spend some time to improve our backup/restore procedures to
> minimize the chance of user data loss.

I like the idea of backup/restore

It is more consistent with the ideals in Walter's http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Walter#Libre_Planet_talk

"freedom is essential to learning" including the freedom to corrupt the OS

"turtles all the way down" a metaphor which mixes the world on a turtle's back on a turtle's back ... and Turtle Art where the source is viewable and editable all the way down to the hardware and beyond

"crumple zones" where you are free to risk damage because repair is low cost. - Crumple zones include easy reflashing, journal backup, restoring settings

Tony