[Sugar-devel] Hypothetical sugar-0.90 material, draft 1.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 14 14:03:54 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 16:15, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Sat, 12-06-2010 a las 10:26 +0200, Simon Schampijer escribió:
>
>> > PS I'm sure Walter will back me up here!
>>
>> Can someone explain me what a development manager is?
>>
>> Didn't we talk about about Release Management? I hope people don't want
>> to throw away what we have been establishing over the last releaeses.
>> Our release and Feature process have been in place for several releases
>> and to change that there should be good reasons to do so. I don't see
>> any yet.
>
> +1.
>
> I would also very much like our next RM to preserve our 6-months release
> cycle and keep it synchronized with the major Linux distros, like GNOME
> and other high-profile projects do.

FWIW, I think that keeping Sugar aligned with GNOME and other
downstreams of the GNOME platform will be key for putting a limit to
the growing maintenance costs.

> This does not imply that we cannot ever do very large restructuring of
> our codebase, if needed. This kind of work just needs to happen in a
> development trees and be merged when it's sufficiently stable.

Right, other projects keep the 6 month cycle and do radical revampings
from time to time. We can also do it if it's really worth it.

Regards,

Tomeu