[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Alerting users in case of write errors (sl#1842)

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 13 17:31:33 EDT 2010

Hi Anish,

On 13 Jun 2010, at 12:57, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> An alert like a chat or Activity sharing invitation would be nice, but one
>> with a more visible signal is needed.
>
>> We really really really ... need a general notification system. :D
>
>> Please no popup error dialogue windows if you can avoid it ;) The alert strip that displays under the toolbar is a much more friendly notification for the Sugar UI design.
>
> Thanks for the insightful responses. I have used a slightly modded
> version of NotifyAlert (aptly called NotifyRedAlert). A sample
> screen-capture can be found here...
>
> http://people.sugarlabs.org/~anish/sl1842-journal.gif
> Note: The link above is a big animated gif (~1.8M) and some browsers
> may struggle to display it.

Yea, my iPad chocked half way through :)

> If this seems fine, I'll mail the patch for reviewing.

Looks nice. The colour fade (red to black over the time-out countdown) is something new and not in the Sugar HIG, but I don't have an objection — makes fair warning UI sense and could be something we adopt elsewhere when needed (if there aren't too many objections).

Regards,
--Gary

> Cheers,
> Anish
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 Jun 2010, at 19:13, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was planning on fixing sl#1842 [1] but I'm not sure what should be
>>> the correct method of alerting users incase a write error does occur.
>>> Should I popup a dialog box, or use alerts like the one used in chat,
>>> sugar-commander? Suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Please no popup error dialogue windows if you can avoid it ;) The alert strip that displays under the toolbar is a much more friendly notification for the Sugar UI design.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --Gary
>>
>>> [1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1842,
>>>
>>> Cheers,