[Sugar-devel] Hypothetical sugar-0.90 material, draft 1.

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:41:49 EDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 11:48 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>  - 0install and Vala are controversial, risky and not focussed on
> pressing end-users' needs. Yes there are some benefits and potential
> to both (otherwise Aleksey would not be working on them! :-) ) but
> they also break lots of toys.

In my view, OLPC's ARM announcement creates a pressing problem of avoiding
total confusion and fragmentation between different CPU architectures.
0install is, in my view, the most promising candidate solution.

(I think the mention of Vala here is a red herring.  The Vala
sugar-toolkit effort is deliberately independent of Sugar version.  It
merely provides a new executable that activity developers may opt to
include in their activity bundles.)

>  - Reworking the datastore... while I welcome efforts in a new
> datastore... _every Sugar release has a new DS implementation_ and
> they get little testing and I've seen extremely light thinking about
> what is _actually_ needed.

That's a very polite way of saying that you disagree with the extensive
thinking that's been done about datastore design and implementation for
the past three years.  Perhaps you should publish your thoughts on DS
architecture, or even just a list of use cases that you believe have been
overlooked.

> We need _a good, polished DS that covers
> many aspects sanely_... a new DS is unlikely to do so.

Do you think our current datastore meets your criteria?  The consensus
among the developers seems to be that our datastore does not live up to
our goals for data management.

--Ben