[Sugar-devel] Hypothetical sugar-0.90 material, draft 1.

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Jun 10 12:13:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:48:50AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Under the temporary working hypothesis that we want to make a Sugar release in
> > a couple of months, I'd like to know more about what we might find ourselves
> > integrating. Here's my current list of, er... mostly unvetted rumors. :)
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for taking on this effort. Overall, it's a fantastic thing that
> this is rolling forward.
>
> The two first items on your list make me think a bit.
>
>  - 0install and Vala are controversial, risky and not focussed on
> pressing end-users' needs. Yes there are some benefits and potential
> to both (otherwise Aleksey would not be working on them! :-) ) but
> they also break lots of toys.

I would say this is targeting to break not toys but players' minds :).

The core idea behind these tools, they are just tools, to reach workflow
of huge LEGO i.e. low floor - declaring base rules that let
use/share/change things more smooth and decentralized in heterogeneous
environment (not only for particular deployment like OLPC) when there
is only "doer<->doer" interaction scheme.

This is not replacing/substitution of existed major sugar core workflow
(targeting mainly on deployment e.g. GNU/Linux distributions or OLPC)
but about adding another vector. And, I'm tending to think that this
0sugar/polyol/etc stuff is more for Activity Team rather than
Development Team.

>  - Reworking the datastore... while I welcome efforts in a new
> datastore... _every Sugar release has a new DS implementation_ and
> they get little testing and I've seen extremely light thinking about
> what is _actually_ needed. We need _a good, polished DS that covers
> many aspects sanely_... a new DS is unlikely to do so. IOWs the
> barrier to merge a new DS should be high. It just triggers my CADT
> alarms http://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html
>
> Hopefully your list is not prioritised ;-) and it's just an accident
> that those two are top-of-the-list...
>
> Or maybe there's a goal to have 0.90 be a "break lots of toys towards
> a 'developer release' and then make 1.0 the real deal".

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions

Aleksey