[Sugar-devel] Q on tracker cleanup / triage

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 5 06:46:43 EDT 2010

On 07/04/2010 01:11 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> 500+ unclosed bugs causes problems. I feel intimidated & overwhelmed by
> this number. I also find it difficult to find material sift through bug
> reports, to find areas where I can help (although, at the moment, I'm
> quite content with sugar-love level problems).

About 500+ bugs being hard to handle, I think that maybe what happens is
that either those are not correctly categorized, or our tools are not
making use of all info and thus unwanted results appear in our queries
making difficult to find what we look for.

> However, 500+ bugs isn't
> that accurate. Some have been identified as upstream problems, but their
> resolution status remains open.

As it has been said in another reply, sometimes we want to track
upstream resolution status, and sometimes even a workaround in Sugar itself.

> I suggest that we make more use of the "wontfix" resolution status. In 5
> minutes, I've found some likely candidates. "wontfix" comes with a high
> risk of alienating people submitting bugs, but a polite note saying that
> it's upstream or possibly something like "Unfortunately, we have higher
> priority areas to work on right now. However we would welcome a patch if
> you are still wiling to work on this issue. It's great that you've taken
> the time to submit the bug, and we have looked into resolving things for
> you."

Well, if we are willing to accept a patch to solve an issue, then I
think that the issue is definitely worth an open ticket.

> Some candidates:

Sorry, no net acces right now, will reply later about specific tickets.

Thanks a lot for your interest in this very important topic,

Tomeu