[Sugar-devel] Q on tracker cleanup / triage

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 5 06:49:06 EDT 2010

On 07/04/2010 05:15 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El Sun, 04-07-2010 a las 02:29 +0100, Gary Martin escribió:
>

>>> Also, I don't know if I have the permission to change resolution
>>> status when something hasn't been touched for 12+ months. If I were
>>> to change status on likely candidates, would this anger the other
>>> developers?
>>

>> I know it's sensitive, for us slightly more delicate souls, but if you
>> feel strongly about a bug status... I'd say go for its change of
>> status. It will trigger either action/indifference from genuinely
>>   interested parties, possibly patches/discussion, action, and glory ;)
>>
> Yes, I would encourage users to apply the Be Bold mantra [1] to the bug
> tracker as well as the wiki. If in doubt, go ahead and change. If you
> were wrong, someone will revert your change.
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Be_bold

Agreed as well, with the warning that if the changes are in mass and
exceed the capacity of the rest of interested parties to react, review
or revert those changes, it may not be such a good idea. Normally when
developers get angry at some triaging activity it's because of automated
changes, not because of spontaneous triaging.

>> It seems fair to say there is some level of (completely
>> understandable) analysis paralysis for some level of bugs. Bug triage
>> activity is at a low at the moment. Don't apologise for bringing that
>> task back up in everyones focus/face.
>
> Low? Not really:
>
>    http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/timeline

I'm offline right now so I cannot check (though I have seen lots of
activity from you and Silbe in the past weeks, kudos!), but I would like
to encourage people interested in triaging that read and improve
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/BugSquad/Triage_Guide so we follow a
consistent set of guidelines and specially so bugs get out from the
triaging queue once someone has been able to look at it.

Thanks,

Tomeu