[Sugar-devel] Collaboration woes

Behavior Vehikel b.vehikel at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 24 03:46:56 EST 2010

2010/1/23, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com>:
>  It seems to me that setting
> up a test environment for collaboration has always been a source of
> frustration but I don't remember a time when I had this many things
> not work at the same time.

Hello Jim,

I got collaboration working to test communication between up to three
instances of my activity.
It is possible to communicate between different sugar profiles running
sugar 0.82 inside Xephyr. additionaly it works to communicate with a
sugar 0.86 (SoaS blueberry) running in an virtual machine.

Collaboration works for me under the following conditions:
* using Suger 0.82 version  on an old Ubuntu 8.10
* having installed ejabberd 2.0.1-2 on my box
* made manual changes in the /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg.ucf-dist
(vehikel is the host name of my box)

%% Options which are set by Debconf and managed by ucf

%% Admin user

{acl, admin, {user, "jtest", "vehikel"}}.

%% Hostname

{hosts, ["vehikel"]}.

* I must stop the firewall before starting Xephyr or the virtual machine:
SUGAR_PROFILE=jane /usr/bin/sugar-emulator -x

Spend a lot of time until it works.
Some things are unclear for me.
* Got it never running with the jabber server at sugarlabs.org. Think
I have to less understanding about used ports. I don't want to disable
the firewall in my router without detailed understanding.
* I am searching for collaboration code that is more robust. For
example: How to reconnect when the initiating activity stops for while
and than is back on stage.

Think the collaboration model of sugar is very interesting.  But I
spend last year a lot of time to get it running. It was frustrating.
Best regards
Thomas

--
http://digital-defect.org