[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] [MINUTES] 0.88 Meeting (2) --- 23. Jan 2010 (15:30 UTC)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sat Jan 23 13:27:32 EST 2010

Hi,

today we had another design meeting for the upcoming 0.88 release. We
made progress in the following areas:

* Start new vs Resume
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Resume.2FStart_new_on_the_Home_View

Christian has been doing a great job with phrasing out a test case for
the 'Start new" vs "Resume" case [1]. There was a long discussion about
if we set the goals right and if the test would bring us the data we
need. Finally we agreed to do this test with probably adding a third
task regarding the Journal.

Gerald suggested to do the test with a set of focus groups with, say, 6
students at a time. The facilitator could collect their responses and
add some observational data as well. Gerald made the point, that this
would mimic how the kids actually use the XOs/Sugar, which is in a
social way.

Christian, Gerald and Simon will work on facilitating a first round of
tests next week. Tests are planned in the Pilot in Berlin and in the
Pierre Van Cortlandt Middle School in Croton on Hudson, New York. The
development team will work on a build for such a test.
[1] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-January/022155.html

* Font configuration
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Font_configuration

Yevlempy (our new Sugar coding adjutant) attended the meeting to discuss
the design for the control panel section from within the learner can
modify the Font size. The page will present the user with a slider to
adjust the size and a preview of the changes he makes. Eben will do
mockups of the proposed design.

The possibility to adjust the Font type was discarded. I want to state
Daniel words here: "If you put an XO in amharic mode, it uses amharic
characters even though they dont exist in the systemwide default for for
this reason, i discard the argument that font selection is necessary for
language reasons." And Daniel clarified further: "As for giving the user
a choice of font face and displaying the size, i simply think its not
necessary and that sugar should focus on simplicity. My feature proposal
is based on experience in the field, and i've never seen these things as
desirable."

* Enhanced Color Selector
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Enhanced_Color_Selector

A new design has been brought on the table. The arrows could be dropped
(current design [1]) from the design and only next/previous
fill/stroke XOs colors
 on all 4 sides of the large one could be shown.
This would make it possible to adjust the color in four directions. The
form can be seen as a plus, not to be confused with a cross. Walter has
been proposed to make the code changes needed for this design proposal.
[1]
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Enhanced_color_selector#Release_Notes

* Tags in Journal and Multiple selections in the Journal
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Tags_in_Journal

Those were basically seen as impossible to happen for 0.88. We hope to
see those in the next release.

* Dragging Feedback
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Drag_icon

Eben suggested that the designs generally call for the "object" to be
the icon. Which can be seen in [1]. "The XO, the activity, the clipping,
the device, etc....those should be the icon dragged, as though it were a
physical object. When appropriate, the cursor is meant to change to a
plus for valid drop targets, and an N/A symbol for invalid ones." he
added further. Coding hero Aleksey agreed on this design and will
implement it. He hopes to find a review hero for his changes, too.
[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Frame#15

Attendees:
http://meeting.olpcorps.net/sugar-meeting/sugar-meeting.minutes.20100123_1036.html

Full Logs:
http://meeting.olpcorps.net/sugar-meeting/sugar-meeting.log.20100123_1036.html

Thanks everyone for a great second meeting,
    Simon