[Sugar-devel] Collaboration woes

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:50:09 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I attempted to begin the chapter in my book on
>
> snip

> So I try various Jabber servers from this page:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers
>
> Of all of them only jabber.laptop.org lets me see other users in the
> Neighborhood.  Not the other copy of sugar-emulator I have running.
> No, that would be too much to hope for.  But in ONE copy of
> sugar-emulator I see ONE other user.  The other copy sees nobody.
>
> jabber.sugarlabs.org should work. I am maintaining that server so if you
have a chance to visit #sugar in irc we might be able to troubleshoot this.
My nickname is "daveb".

> I've let both copies of sugar-emulator run for awhile and now they can
> both see the same set of users.  Needless to say they still can't see
> EACH OTHER.

I have tested this using virtualbox running two Sugar on a Stick VMs and it
has worked previously. I would expect in this case sugar-emulator should
work as well as long as it is really using distinct jabber ids.

> I also have sugar-jhbuild running on my F11 box, and it can see the
> same three users but nobody else.
>
> I just wish I knew how to deal with this situation, or that Sugar
> could do something to at least give me a hint if something is wrong
> with my setup.  If I can't get around it then the "Make Your Own Sugar
> Activities!" book will have no chapter on collaboration.
>
> Make sure you have the analyze activity installed. It can provide useful
information for troubleshooting collaboration.

Dave

> Sorry for all the venting.
>
> James Simmons

Dave Bauer