[Sugar-devel] seeking feedback on sketch of a new color selector

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:58:45 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> as far as I know there are no more design decisions to make for this
> Feature.

I did raise a new question: should we eliminate the color selector
altogether in the initialization screen. The more I think about it,
the more I like the idea. I have found that having children choose
colors at the beginning is disruptive (although they enjoy it). If
colors were randomly assigned then that step could be eliminated. The
Control Panel could be used (at a time determined by the teacher) to
change the colors. Of course, we'd want to get more input from the
field, but I think this simplifies things...

> Can you update the Feature page, especially the detailed description to the
> latest state? Do we have the shortcut and is it possible to have the random
> selection? If there are open questions we can clear them at the design
> meeting this Saturday [1].

done.

> Detailed Description
>
> Buttons are added to either side of the XO icon currently used to randomly
> cycle through the valid-XO-color list. On the left is a button that cycles
> through the list in one direction. On the right is a button that cycles
> through the list in the other direction. Smaller XO icons to the left and
> right of the new buttons show a preview of the colors that will be selected
> if the button (or icon) is pressed. There is also a keyboard shortcut
> (Ctrl-Z) to undo the last change.
>
> Thanks,
>   Simon
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting