[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Toolkit in Vala

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:55:41 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While packagin GCompris-9 for sugar, it was decided to have sugar
> native toolbas for GCompris in sugar environment.
>
> So, instead of coding them in plain C, new project was initiated to port
> sugar-toolkit to Vala[1]
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/toolkit
> At some point we can completely switch from python sugar-toolkit to
> Vala based project.

Wow!!

I think even for Python based activities, having the Sugar toolkit
written in C will decrease activity startup time.

And for non-Python activities, it will finally be possible to use
native Sugar widgets such as the toolbar.

I presume the plan is to use 0install to download the Vala toolkit?

-Wade