[Sugar-devel] SoaS with Sugar 0.87.2 coming to a system near you

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jan 11 07:00:53 EST 2010

On 12/28/2009 09:14 PM, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> by popular request, there's now a Sugar on a Stick snapshot with the
> latest Sugar development release available. Please note that this
> snapshot is already part of our way to Sugar on a Stick v3.
>
> It's still based on F12 for stability reasons, though (this will change
> in the development cycle). But it incorporates already a number of
> significant changes which are part of the change to the SoaS v3 builds.
>
> The build is available here:
>
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/3/soas-3-20091228.iso
>
> Please follow the Blueberry instructions to put it on your flash drive.
>
> You can even run it on your XO-1 from a flash drive (NAND installation
> possibilities are being evaluated) by using liveusb-creator.
>
> Afterwards, plug it into your XO-1 and type: "boot u:\boot\olpc.fth"
>
> However, a known issue is (on the XO-1 only) that the X session tends to
> crash when trying to scroll. Help with debugging this would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks and happy testing!
> --Sebastian
>
> P.S.: Enjoy your holidays!

First: Thanks very much Sebastian for taking care of providing us with
such a nice testing environment. A few comments after a short test:

* Soas:
- evince-djvu is not installed, djvu-based books can not be shown
- the user name is set to 'Liveuser' and the option to set is not shown
on first boot. There was this change in latest Sugar:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/5245f687227e29cde9bd679b9e3ca892180a5895
We need to set the gconf option to "Disabled"

* Sugar:
- switching activities by using tab is broken

* Activities:
- Write has problems drawing the canvas
- Espeak does not start: voice.py syntax error
- Clock: error in method draw_simple_background
- Get IA Books: option djvu always selected, can not be changed

Regards,
    Simon

PS: Yay, the hotdog is back! :)