[Sugar-devel] A small server-based setup

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jan 11 05:35:55 EST 2010

Hi,

I have a school with a few machines on which, of course, I want to run
Sugar. The clients should be straight forward what I do not have much
knowledge about is the server, maybe someone can comment.

* Clients:
As the learners are familiar with Ubuntu already, I will go for Sugar on
Ubuntu. Thanks to Aleksey, David and friends there is a solution for
Sugar on Ubuntu [1].

* Server:
** Needs:
The server should provide facilities for user authentication and the
storage of user data. The adding/removing and editing of users should be
doable by someone from the school staff. Highest priority is stability.
There must be an easy way to turn the server on/off since it does not
need to be up during the night.

A nice thing to have would be to start/stop internet connectivity by a
software switch and to have a graphical way to see how long a person was
logged in (for example during a week).

** Current approach:
So far, I setup a Fedora 11 server with openldap for authentication and
NFS to manage the data storage.
I failed so far in stability, since the LDAP database was corrupted two
times which ended in a non working environment. The logging in from the
users is slow when you do it the first time from a client (might be due
to a handshake or similar). The administration of the users is not as
easy. I generated the users data by hand and added it to the LDAP
database. I configured the power switch to shutdown when pressing which
works fine. The clients are fat clients as the server is not powerful
enough.

The current approach was ok for a first test, but I would like to do the
next step and setup something more solid with better ways to
administrate. I can't imagine that there isn't something already
preconfigured for my use case. Anyone does have experience in that
regard, links etc?

Thanks,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu