[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sugar Services

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Jan 8 04:16:05 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:01:41AM -0500, Wade Brainerd wrote:
> Happy New Year!
>
> Can we bundle some 0install sources (blobs) in the .xo file?  Like,
> for Colors! could I bundle the {py25,py26}_{x86,x64} 0install sources
> in the .xo file and specify a local path when starting up?
>
> Thus, remote 0install is only invoked in a less common scenario, where
> the user is more likely to have a net connection anyway.

Yes, I'm thinking about it, at present only 0install and saccharing are
bundled[7]. It shouldn't be hard problem and I'm going to tweak 0export
this week and will post howto to Documentation_Team/Services.

At the end it could look like 0install here(when all blobs are bundled)
is redundant but it still makes sense for activity developers e.g. if
Speak uses gst-espeak(and it's not well packaged) there is no need for
Speak's developer to think about where he should take gst-espeak
sources, how to build it, for what arches etc. Only gst-espeak serivce's
maintainer will fix all these issues and Speak's developer only need to
add "requires" field to activity.info and run 0export to bundle
requires. And of course if we will switch to services in the future,
users will get all 0install benefits(like updates, not downloading
already downloaded dependencies, sharing downloaded dependencies among
other local users etc.)

[7] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide#Requirements

> Though, the Browse extension sounds neat.
>
> -Wade
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > As was predicted, there could be issue w/ downloading new activities from
> > ASLO and first launch them w/o net(see http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1641)
> > looks like it could be fixed w/o implementing offline mode in shell(thus only
> > in last sugar) but just in Browse.
> >
> > I'm going to implement such fix for 0.82+ Browses. This fix will let
> > users follow regular workflow i.e. get full activity .xo after
> > downloading from ASLO but after implementing [6] in shell and switching
> > to "online" mode users will download pure .xo and reuse already
> > downloaded 0install dependencies.
> >
> > [6] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Zero_Install_integration
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 06:12:01PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> >> Happy New Year to all,
> >>
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Services
> >>
> >> It is the first version Sugar Services infrastructure which is ready
> >> to test or use in simple cases(see Known Issues[1]).
> >>
> >> In short terms it's about adding decentralized method to support
> >> various activity dependencies. See what Services is[2] and is not[3].
> >>

> >> There are also guides for:
> >>
> >> * activity developers
> >>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide
> >>
> >> * service developers
> >>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Service_Developers_Guide
> >>

> >> Examples:
> >>
> >> * CartoonBuilder-9
> >>   http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4037
> >>   uses Toolkit[4] service which provides new toolbar design for 0.82+
> >>
> >> * Speak-12
> >>   http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4038
> >>   uses gst-plugins-espeak[5] service which lets activity use gst plugin
> >>   instead of executing espeak command on XO-1
> >>
> >> In all examples the only change(except bundling 0sugar-launch, since
> >> saccharin is not part of Sugar Platform) is adding new string to
> >> activity.info:
> >>
> >>    requires = toolkit; gst-plugins-espeak
> >>

> >> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide#Known_issue
> >> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Services#Workflows