[Sugar-devel] Several chapters of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" ready for review, feedback

Behavior Vehikel b.vehikel at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:57:16 EST 2010

Hello Jim,

Nine month ago I started writing my first activity for sugar (
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/kandid ). Had trouble to understand
the following three things .

My hardest problem is the code for collaborating. I copied some code
from the Connect activity and adopted it to my activity. But even now
after I published my first version I am not able to make more than
trivial changes in this code. An in detail chapter about looking up
buddies, neighborhood, joining, using tubes will be a great help for
me.

Next point is the journal. Please explain how to use is in an conform
way to exchange data between different activities. In one of next
revision my activity will be able to import and export bitmap images.
How should this be implemented to achieve a tight integration to other
Sugar activities?

Setting up an Sugar emulator on Ubuntu or using SoaS in a virtual
machine it not too complicated. But I spend a lot of time to simulate
two or more Sugar desktops to test collaboration. Up to now I not able
to simulate the mesh networking. I installed something like a 'school
server' and three virtual  'laptops'. An chapter about building a
virtual network for testing collaboration will be helpful. By the way
I have no access to an real XO Laptop. All my development is done on
one typical desktop computer.

Kind regards
Thomas

--