[Sugar-devel] state of feature patches

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Wed Feb 17 13:23:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:16:44PM +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1659 - replace Xephyr with VNC
>
> I think Sascha has made that the server is killed when the viewer is
> closed, but the patch in trac doesn't seem to have been updated. I
> think this is more of an invasive bugfix than a feature or
> enhancement.
Patch updated. Using Trac for patches that need to be updated is really
a PITA.
What do you think about creating a review mailing list?

> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1680 - sugar-base: add
> sugar.dispatch.DbusSignal
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1681 - use sugar.dispatch.DbusSignal
> in sugar.datastore.datastore
>
> I'm not sure why we need this.
The refactorings landed by erikos (based on my patch) in the current
development release (commit e1d4afe13e3b49f01083a00ca4b83cc4011829d8)
cause every activity to connect to data store listeners watching _all_
data store events unconditionally. With the above patches only
activities actually listening to those events get woken up.
This is especially important on low-resource machines like the XO-1
because waking up an activity means paging it back in if it was swapped
out.

For #1358 we (or erikos to give due credit) made sure we only listen to
the specific object owned by the current activity to avoid being woken
if anything we don't care about gets changed. Without #1680/#1681 that
optimization was in vain.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/