[Sugar-devel] state of feature patches

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Feb 17 13:31:09 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 18:23, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:16:44PM +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1659 - replace Xephyr with VNC
>>
>> I think Sascha has made that the server is killed when the viewer is
>> closed, but the patch in trac doesn't seem to have been updated. I
>> think this is more of an invasive bugfix than a feature or
>> enhancement.
>
> Patch updated. Using Trac for patches that need to be updated is really a
> PITA.
> What do you think about creating a review mailing list?

I like it, if patches are tracked somehow. Maybe someone could write a
command line utility that sends the patch to a mailing list and
updates a ticket with r? and an url to the archives?

>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1680 - sugar-base: add
>> sugar.dispatch.DbusSignal
>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1681 - use sugar.dispatch.DbusSignal
>> in sugar.datastore.datastore
>>
>> I'm not sure why we need this.
>
> The refactorings landed by erikos (based on my patch) in the current
> development release (commit e1d4afe13e3b49f01083a00ca4b83cc4011829d8) cause
> every activity to connect to data store listeners watching _all_ data store
> events unconditionally. With the above patches only activities actually
> listening to those events get woken up.
> This is especially important on low-resource machines like the XO-1 because
> waking up an activity means paging it back in if it was swapped out.
>
> For #1358 we (or erikos to give due credit) made sure we only listen to the
> specific object owned by the current activity to avoid being woken if
> anything we don't care about gets changed. Without #1680/#1681 that
> optimization was in vain.

I'm confused, Simon made that the DS wrapper listens only for signals
addressed to that entry. Why would every process be listening for all
events?

Thanks,

Tomeu