[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 89 (SoaS performance/hard drive swapping)

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Sep 17 18:59:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Elena of Valhalla
<elena.valhalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
>> My wish is to figure out ways that SoaS can take advantage of the hard
>> drive while still remaining a portable environment. Hmm...  Hey,  here
>> is a potentially useful 'hack'.  Have SoaS detect the presence of a
>> hard drive at boot time, look for partitions marked as Linux swap, and
>> enable swapping on them.  This could make 256Meg machines much more
>> usable.  Should be as safe as the contents of partitions with the
>> Linux swap type are pretty much fair game to be overwritten at any
>> reboot.
>
> What about computers where suspend-to-disk is used? afaik in that case
> the memory contents are written to the swap partition between hardware
> reboots.

Since it turns out that the F11 Live ISO as well as the SoaS
strawberry ISO both do this already, it doesn't really matter whether
it's a good idea or not.  It's already configured to work more or less
as I described.  I just didn't know it.  We would have to deliberately
turn off this functionality in Fedora when building SoaS to make this
no longer happen.  I don't see much reason to do so
until we get bug reports.  In the meantime, we can use it.

Bill Bogstad