[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 89 (SoaS performance/hard drive swapping)

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:47:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> My wish is to figure out ways that SoaS can take advantage of the hard
> drive while still remaining a portable environment. Hmm...  Hey,  here
> is a potentially useful 'hack'.  Have SoaS detect the presence of a
> hard drive at boot time, look for partitions marked as Linux swap, and
> enable swapping on them.  This could make 256Meg machines much more
> usable.  Should be as safe as the contents of partitions with the
> Linux swap type are pretty much fair game to be overwritten at any
> reboot.

What about computers where suspend-to-disk is used? afaik in that case
the memory contents are written to the swap partition between hardware
reboots.

That's not something that is usually done on desktop PCs, of course,
so it may not be a problem right now.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org