[Sugar-devel] #606 UNSP: SoaS includes lots of fonts that don't work in Write (Soas2-200903211320)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:13:32 EDT 2009

The fonts in your list that render as "tiny letters that all
overprint" are mainly fixed-size bitmap console fonts that should not
be used in a GUI.

I don't understand why Lucida Typewriter would have a problem, nor do
I understand why only one Lucida font is inclueded in SOAS. The Lucida
family of TrueType fonts is usually distributed with Sun Java, in the
sun-java6-jre package.

Hershey is a family of PostScript fonts for ghostscript. They don't
render correctly onscreen in Gnome Character Map on Ubuntu, either.

We need to check whether the two failing Symbol and Dingbats fonts are
in the correct font format. MT Extra and the math fonts render
correctly, but are evidently not Unicode fonts.

The cmmi math symbol font is intended to be used without spaces
between characters. It is behaving as defined. However, none of these
TeX fonts should be on the menu in Write. Aren't they there for MathML
in Browse? (BTW, there are some characters missing for MathML).

http://earthtreasury.org/