[Sugar-devel] [Localization] Help activity

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Fri May 29 21:45:01 EDT 2009

>  Surely an HTML manual  in a browser is the way to go..

Perhaps you are correct.  If not for Rainbow I think that the help activity
and the browser could access the same material.

The current OLPC help activity starts a hulahop.webview that displays
> 'help/XO_Introduction.html'  The benefit is it is a single-purpose
> activity with its own '(?)' icon in the Home view, and it lacks some
> browser chrome such as the location field and View menu.  But those
> features become a confusing hindrance the moment you follow a link
> from Help to an external web site.

There aren't supposed to be external links in the help manual.  It was meant
to be a stand-alone manual, suitable for printing or for static html.

> Perhaps it would be better just to
> put a link to the local help files on the Browse home page

This happened with the early 65x releases of Sugar back in 07 and not very
many people ever found the manual.  The point of having the Help activity as
its own icon was to put it as close and easy to the user as possible.  There
was a goal of having the help activity or similar introduction run on first
boot, but we ran out of time in the 8.2 release.

I really really really owe the Sugar community a long email documenting what
the heck went on with the Help activity last year.  I've done a very poor
job relinquishing ownership of the project and passing on information, as I
haven't had time to work on the manual since last September.  I apologize
guys.

This is still a bad time for me to get heavily involved in the FlossManual /
Help-Activity project, but I should corral the 4+ email threads of questions
I have in my to-do folder and write some documentation.

(Feel free to poke me about if you see me over the weekend)

--Seth