[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri May 29 14:54:09 EDT 2009

On 29 May 2009, at 18:41, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> sorry for the short notice, but this is rather urgent. I've been
> spending yesterday afternoon to update the packages in our SoaS Yum
> repo
> to reflect the changes for Fedora 11.
>
> As it turned out, the plymouth package has been partly rewritten,
> and I
> was wondering (also with regard to #709), how we wanted to deal with a
> new boot screen. For now, I've just implemented the old Sugar logo
> again, but we might also want to have something more shiny (probably
> with a progress bar).

Some form of progress indicator would be a useful addition.

> I'm not really that good at art and the Sugar logo thing there was at
> first nothing more than a quick hack, so it'd would be really great if
> someone could have a look and work on such a boot screen.

I'm happy to give it a look/shot from a graphics point of view if no
one else steps forward.

So. When did you need it by?

> OLPC is currently doing the same for their 1.5 software release, which
> gives us a good possibility to have a look at the file structure:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/~halfline/olpc.tar.bz2
>
> Please let me know if there's anything I can help with.

I'm new to plymouth, but looking at the content of olpc.tar.bz2 it
seems simple. My main question is where should I look for the config
that describes which images get loaded in what order. Perhaps the
names just conform to some hardcoded protocol? How about the location
of corner-image.png, perhaps hardcoded again?

I'm just downloading your latest Soas build so will have a dig in
there to see what you have done already – I'm just wondering if this
is really as easy as generating a bunch of png files with the correct
file names :-)

Regards,
--Gary