[Sugar-devel] Sugar Developer MINUTES

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon May 25 11:46:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 16:25, Marten Vijn <info at martenvijn.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 15:42 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> [adding sugar-devel again to CC]

> <cut>

>> > I would love to see something an update kernel (OpenBSD) or mini-dist to
>> > roll out never version.

>> > Well I can help testing (or learn C, but that will take a while ;( )
>>
>> Well, for this task (shipping an updated or new distro for the XO)
>> there's little need for programming skills, it's mostly a matter of
>> having someone who leads the effort and recruits people to help with
>> the various tasks, give publicity to the effort, keep track of the
>> open issues in the different bug trackers involved, help with
>> packaging, do integration testing, etc.
>
> oke, from a side of a none developer, I would be good, a list of tasks
> to:
> - to do meself
> - point people to

Cool! I think that this is done better in a per team basis, so that
people can have a closer contact with a subset of the community that
better fits their experience and interests.

You are already pretty much involved in the marketing team, but there
are others in case you want to do something different.

Each team has a getting involved page, a roadmap and a todo list in the wiki:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Getting_Involved
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/TODO
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Roadmap

> For me is hard to so see what is needed and to move to the "right
> direction". Knowing a bit from linux it is best to avoid dist-wars.

Agreed, it helps having a personal goal related to Sugar, then it's a
matter of seeing which other people are working closer to that goal
and finding common tasks.

> I 'll check the wiki and look/create for a task list. IHMO tasks shoud
> be:
> - do-able (beginning / end / clear steps)
> - supported by a person
> - avoiding flames/wars whatever negative energie
> - complexicity index.
>
> Am I correct (by kind of consensus) that a tasklist would help?

I think we have consensus on this, only that is quite a bit of work to
maintain all those lists. But is something we'll get better slowly.

>> That's why people are barking at the wrong tree when they say that
>> Sugar developers should port Sugar to whatever system. The skills
>> involved are very different from upstream work and if coders are not
>> coding we won't have anything new to ship.
>>

> If barking ever applies me to please let me know. My intention is to
> have usable contributions to our project.

I was referring to some people that tried to put more pressure on
Sugar Labs by saying that we had "abandoned" the OLPC platform. It's
hard, but IMO a big part of our work is making people understand that
this is an open project and that everyone has the capacity to
contribute, so instead of complaining people should be able to get
their hards dirty and do their bit.

Regards,

Tomeu