[Sugar-devel] Physics activity development

Brian Jordan bcjordan at gmail.com
Mon May 25 03:17:08 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> On 24 May 2009, at 18:36, Brian Jordan wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Gary -- when you get a chance, can you add me as a committer on
>> git.sl.o?  I'd like to help clean things up!
>
> You're added! :-)
>
> Can I request we try and make small clean commits and try to let others know
> what we are doing. If you want to hack, Gitorious supports quite a nice
> 'Clone repository' and then 'Request merge' process (no commit rights needed
> for the main project). The alternative, if you know what you are doing, is
> just make your own local git branch to hack on, so you can take care of any
> merge/conflict issues yourself when you fold it back into the current
> master.
>
> I'm far from a git expert, but I can recommend some bed time reading at:
>
>        http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/git/
>
> and/or
>
>        http://gitready.com/

Thank you, will devote some to that!  Need to learn to keep my crazy
features in branches.

> I'd like to get on with Labyrinth work, if you're willing to have an initial
> clean up of the Physics source in the next few days... so what was
> 'joysitck' feature all about? ;-)

This would probably be best to describe on the wiki page, the idea was
to make a UI for assigning keys on the XO-1 to impulses or changes on
certain objects, so simple 2 player physics based games could be made
from within Physics.

Agreed, though, I will rid that from the code so we have a nice base
line for crazy-feature branches.

> Once the dev.sugarlabs.org component is added we should add the
> features/bugs in there to keep them all together. FWIW, from a UI point of
> view I had in mind:
>
> 1) remove/disable 'joysitick' feature as I have no idea what it was meant to
> be ;-)
> 2) build tool buttons correctly using RadioToolButton so they display state
> correctly
> 3) use set_accelerator to define visible keyboard shortcuts for the tools
>
>> Asaf -- do you have a http://git.sugarlabs.org account yet?
>>
>> This is some feedback from Asaf (these could fit as enhancements in
>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ ):
>>
>>> While playing with the activity I found a "pause" button to stop time
>>> could be very useful. It's complicated to build elaborate contraptions
>>> if everything keeps falling. Maybe while everything is paused,
>>> positions an velocities of objects could be modified.
>>>
>>> A minor modification I suggest is to create a separate button for
>>> adding push pins. It is not intuitive to add them using the link tool.
>>> If there are plans about creating tutorial levels this isn't that
>>> necessary although I don't see any harm on adding it.
>>>
>>> An other thing I think could be grate is to be able to create
>>> attractors an repulsors. With stuff like this it gets pretty
>>> interesting, we could have objects orbiting around the attractors.
>
> Yes, all good stuff, there's also a list on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physics_%28activity%29 as well, but I'd vote for
> cleaning up what we have first, perhaps adding a play/pause, and keeping
> Journal state so kids can actually keep their Physics creations (and send
> them to friends when using sugar 0.84).

+1 +1 +1

Brian

--