[Sugar-devel] Physics activity development

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun May 24 14:59:57 EDT 2009

Hi Brian,

On 24 May 2009, at 18:36, Brian Jordan wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Gary -- when you get a chance, can you add me as a committer on
> git.sl.o?  I'd like to help clean things up!

You're added! :-)

Can I request we try and make small clean commits and try to let
others know what we are doing. If you want to hack, Gitorious supports
quite a nice 'Clone repository' and then 'Request merge' process (no
commit rights needed for the main project). The alternative, if you
know what you are doing, is just make your own local git branch to
hack on, so you can take care of any merge/conflict issues yourself
when you fold it back into the current master.

I'm far from a git expert, but I can recommend some bed time reading at:

	http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/git/

and/or

	http://gitready.com/

I'd like to get on with Labyrinth work, if you're willing to have an
initial clean up of the Physics source in the next few days... so what
was 'joysitck' feature all about? ;-)

Once the dev.sugarlabs.org component is added we should add the
features/bugs in there to keep them all together. FWIW, from a UI
point of view I had in mind:

1) remove/disable 'joysitick' feature as I have no idea what it was
meant to be ;-)
2) build tool buttons correctly using RadioToolButton so they display
state correctly
3) use set_accelerator to define visible keyboard shortcuts for the
tools

> Asaf -- do you have a http://git.sugarlabs.org account yet?
>
> This is some feedback from Asaf (these could fit as enhancements in
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ ):
>
>> While playing with the activity I found a "pause" button to stop time
>> could be very useful. It's complicated to build elaborate
>> contraptions
>> if everything keeps falling. Maybe while everything is paused,
>> positions an velocities of objects could be modified.
>>
>> A minor modification I suggest is to create a separate button for
>> adding push pins. It is not intuitive to add them using the link
>> tool.
>> If there are plans about creating tutorial levels this isn't that
>> necessary although I don't see any harm on adding it.
>>
>> An other thing I think could be grate is to be able to create
>> attractors an repulsors. With stuff like this it gets pretty
>> interesting, we could have objects orbiting around the attractors.

Yes, all good stuff, there's also a list on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physics_%28activity%29
  as well, but I'd vote for cleaning up what we have first, perhaps
adding a play/pause, and keeping Journal state so kids can actually
keep their Physics creations (and send them to friends when using
sugar 0.84).

Regards,
--Gary