[Sugar-devel] Sugar with Metacity (again)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri May 22 10:33:49 EDT 2009

On 22 May 2009, at 11:51, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

> Hello,
> Revisiting the topic of replacing matchbox with a more "standard"
> window manager[1], I have just uploaded a soas2 build in which Sugar
> uses (unmodified) metacity instead of matchbox. The image also has the
> Gimp, xterm and gcalctool so that you can test how metacity treats
> those normally while making activities occupy the entire screen. At
> the moment, a few activities are getting positioned incorrectly (I'll
> look into the activity code to figure out what's wrong),

Here's a quick run through of the activities.

Correctly positioned:

	Memorize
	IRC
	InfoSlicer
	Write
	Chat
	Terminal
	Browse
	Joke Machine
	Poll Builder
	Paint
	Labyrinth
	View Slides
	Image Viewer
	Jukebox
	Read

Offset, incorrectly sized and/or other related issue:

	Jigsaw Puzzle
	Moon
	Calculate
	Pippy
	TurtleArt (locked up, very slow, unusable)
	Record (main window OK but preview window ends up obscuring much of
the UI)
	Etoys (mainly black screen, very slow, unusable, would not fully stop)
	FreeCell (mainly black screen, very slow, unusable, would not fully
stop)
	Story Builder
	TamTamSynthLab
	TamTamMini
	TamTamEdit
	Slider Puzzle
	Cartoon Builder
	Flipsticks
	Develop
	Log

Watching the re-draw as things (messily) start-up, it kind'a looks
like windows are initially opened at a mix of different sizes (some
too small, some too large). The activity then sets-up its UI, and only
then receive some late window manager event to go fullscreen.
Activities that don't expect their window to be dynamically resized
stay offset and/or incorrectly sized.

> and etoys is
> showing black screens while loading a project, but apart from those,
> things seem to work fine. Try running gimp-2.0 or gcalctool or xterm
> from the Terminal Activity to see how metacity takes care of
> non-activities.
>
> Please test this if possible and let the mailing list know if you find
> more issues.

Here's a few more:

- When activities are started you initially see a sugar-session window
with traditional widget decoration (close/minimise/etc) and title,
again after a few seconds delay the pulsing activity icon begins and
then the window decorations switch off and the window re-adjusts its
size/layout.

- All activities end up with a 3-4 pixel grey boarder around their
outer edge (Fitts's law issue as right/bottom scroll bars are no
longer at the edge of the screen).

- You can still drag a fullscreen activity window around using the top
grey boarder.

- Holding alt down and dragging, drags a fullscreen window around from
anywhere.

- A few times when clicking the grey boarders I managed to trigger the
window manager's context palette and window resizing cursors.

- Watch out for some window manager shortcut keys Alt+F9, Alt+F7, Alt
+F8, Alt+F4.

Regards,
--Gary