[Sugar-devel] Sugar with Metacity (again)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri May 22 06:51:12 EDT 2009

Hello,
Revisiting the topic of replacing matchbox with a more "standard"
window manager[1], I have just uploaded a soas2 build in which Sugar
uses (unmodified) metacity instead of matchbox. The image also has the
Gimp, xterm and gcalctool so that you can test how metacity treats
those normally while making activities occupy the entire screen. At
the moment, a few activities are getting positioned incorrectly (I'll
look into the activity code to figure out what's wrong), and etoys is
showing black screens while loading a project, but apart from those,
things seem to work fine. Try running gimp-2.0 or gcalctool or xterm
from the Terminal Activity to see how metacity takes care of
non-activities.

Please test this if possible and let the mailing list know if you find
more issues. The relevant trac ticket is
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/602

The ISO can be downloaded from:
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/isos/Soas2-200905212052_sayamindu_metacity.iso

You can test the image with qemu (or qemu-kvm) with the following command:

sudo qemu-kvm -cdrom Soas2-200905212052_sayamindu_metacity.iso -boot d -m 1024M

(adjust the value of the -m option based on the amount of RAM you have
in your system, and if you do not have qemu-kvm, you can try to run it
with qemu)

Thanks,
Sayamindu

[1] http://erikos.sweettimez.de/?p=678