[Sugar-devel] Sugar and XS in VirtualBox

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Wed May 20 06:38:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > o XS school server (but I have not fully configured it and tested it with
> XOs)
>
> Not sure how the strange expectations on networking gear the XS has
> will play on the VM. But I can recommend:
>
>  - using the experimental 0.6 "img" files, which are preinstalled ext3
> images.
>
>  - if you give the VM only one NIC, you'll want to use xs-swapnics (+
> reboot) to make it the LAN NIC.

You can setup two NICs in virtualbox with one bridged or NAT and the other
on an internal network. Then you can connect other VMs running sugar to the
internal network and it works as expected.

>  - if your VM networking infra wants to handle dhcp and routing, them
> hummm, I don't know what to suggest. the XS wants to "run the network"
> and it won't be easy to talk him out of it.

I have got this working for simple testing, where everything is running on
one NIC, and DHCP is handled by  my wireless router, but I forgot exactly
what I did. I'll try to figure it out and post. It's good for testing.

Dave

> hth,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect