[Sugar-devel] Dictionary everywhere ?

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun May 10 18:06:15 EDT 2009

Hello,

Based on comments raised in this thread and during yesterday's design
meeting, I have made some changes: video at
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/global_dictionary_second_try.ogv
In case of multiple selections, the words are no longer in the form of
a set of hyperlinks, one can choose the dictionary from which the
definition is to be retrieved and also the definition is made a bit
more pleasing to the eye (with some really ugly hacks) :)

There were some more interesting ideas yesterday, especially
Christian's ideas on providing machine-translation for
sentences/phrases. However, I tried out Apertium, and somehow did not
like the results. We can probably query Google's translation engine,
but that would be a proprietary backend and also would require
internet access.

Some issues that need to be addressed:

1) Hyperlinking inside the definitions and providing a back button
(for "See also:" kind of terms). This simply needs some more coding,
and some ideas on where to put the back button.

2) Stemming. Some words (eg: hurried) are not in the dictionary. In
such a case, do we perform some kind of stemming on the word ? This
does make things more complicated, but it would let us provide more
definitions.

3) Language detection. I stated in one of the previous mails in this
thread that this would be difficult, but a friend of mine has been
working in this area (http://smc.org.in/silpa/Guess_Language), and he
has achieved some really good results already. If required, we can
reuse his work.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--