[Sugar-devel] ideal flash activity to be remade as karma activity

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Mar 31 22:36:17 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 15:45 +0200, Lucian Branescu wrote:
> Yes, I'm more interested in the slightly lower level part. As in, just
> making web apps work as native Sugar activities. I wouldn't invent any
> framework-ish thing myself as all of the framework stuff I'd use is
> already written or at least has a clear, usually proven API (HTML, JS,
> Gears, GreaseMonkey, Sugar itself).

I see Karma as being much higher-level than an API or set of tools. I
hope it will eventually become a ruby-on-rails like set of conventions
for creating a learning activity w/ stubs for the lesson plan, help
menus, and quiz section. Those are some of the long term goals for
Karma.

In the short-term, we need to create some proof-of-concept animations w/
audio and client-side i18n. It would be great to have at the end of the
summer some re-usable javascript libraries for lesson plan reader,
navigation, help, etc.

> And I really care about adhering to web standards and practices,
> because it yields incredible code reuse and opportunities for
> integration. That's why I suggested that you could build Karma so that
> it works on (most) modern browsers, including Browse. Chrome
> experiments http://www.chromeexperiments.com/ proves that impressive
> animations and even 3D is possible with Webkit, Webkit+v8 and Firefox
> 3.1.

Absolutely, web standards make everyone's life easier

> AFAIK, there isn't any nice framework for building educational,
> interactive web apps. HTML5 (with Gears) has almost all of the
> features Flash has and JavaScript is very similar to ActionScript. If
> building stuff with Karma would be easier (or at least just
> higher-level) than doing the same with Flash, it would be a real
> incentive to stop using flash and instead use good, updated browsers
> (no IE).

AFAIK, this is true. Pretty much everyone uses flash right now and no
one shares their code.

> As for Webkit, I agree that it may be better for Sugar to switch to
> it. See my backup proposal
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Webkit_backend_for_Hulahop
> However, Karma the way I see it should not depend on a specific
> engine. That's why I suggested making the deep Sugar integration stuff
> optional for any applications built on Karma (anything beyond saving
> HTML and Gears state in the Journal)
>
> If there was a need for stuff built with Karma to run outside Browse
> as separate activities, a demo browser or a copy of Browse itself
> could be used.
>
> PS: Felipe, get well soon, we need'ya!
> PPS: Again, this ended up very long and probably repetitive. Sorry.

You're doing great work Lucian! keep it up!