[Sugar-devel] ideal flash activity to be remade as karma activity

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 09:45:16 EDT 2009

Yes, I'm more interested in the slightly lower level part. As in, just
making web apps work as native Sugar activities. I wouldn't invent any
framework-ish thing myself as all of the framework stuff I'd use is
already written or at least has a clear, usually proven API (HTML, JS,
Gears, GreaseMonkey, Sugar itself).

And I really care about adhering to web standards and practices,
because it yields incredible code reuse and opportunities for
integration. That's why I suggested that you could build Karma so that
it works on (most) modern browsers, including Browse. Chrome
experiments http://www.chromeexperiments.com/ proves that impressive
animations and even 3D is possible with Webkit, Webkit+v8 and Firefox
3.1.

AFAIK, there isn't any nice framework for building educational,
interactive web apps. HTML5 (with Gears) has almost all of the
features Flash has and JavaScript is very similar to ActionScript. If
building stuff with Karma would be easier (or at least just
higher-level) than doing the same with Flash, it would be a real
incentive to stop using flash and instead use good, updated browsers
(no IE).

As for Webkit, I agree that it may be better for Sugar to switch to
it. See my backup proposal
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Webkit_backend_for_Hulahop
However, Karma the way I see it should not depend on a specific
engine. That's why I suggested making the deep Sugar integration stuff
optional for any applications built on Karma (anything beyond saving
HTML and Gears state in the Journal)

If there was a need for stuff built with Karma to run outside Browse
as separate activities, a demo browser or a copy of Browse itself
could be used.

PS: Felipe, get well soon, we need'ya!
PPS: Again, this ended up very long and probably repetitive. Sorry.