[Sugar-devel] Activity as regular objects proposal

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jul 28 06:14:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 05:14:57AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> * it can't upgrade activities if they were pre-installed from
>   native packages; it makes process of upgrading activities
>   from .xo impossible
Yeah, this is really a PITA.

> * sugar can have only one activity version installed at the same
>   time
That's being worked on, see bug #1042 [1] (patch available, but not
merged yet) and #1053 [2] (fixed).

> i.e. it could be useful to have several versions
>   simultaneously e.g. to start proper version when join request
>   arrived(activity version of arrived request could be different
>   to installed version)
That's not implemented yet, of course, and needs further design
decisions (esp. regarding the UI).

> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Activity_Objects
This sounds a lot like what I imagined as a solution for the first
problem: represent system-installed activities as a virtual Journal
object - inside Journal / shell only, not exposed to activities or the
datastore.
What I don't get is how this depends on your Object Bundles proposal
[3]. AIUI the latter is only an on-the-wire format, similar to the way
regular Bundles work now.

[1] http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1042
[2] http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1053
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Object_Bundles