[Sugar-devel] Request to add webkitgtk as a external dependency

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 15 15:04:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:28, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2009, at 14:22, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> 2009/7/14 Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Ah yes - I plan to drop this as soon as the distros update the
>>> pywebkitgtk. Right now I plan the code to check for system install of
>>> pywebkitgtk, and if not found, load the appropriate module for x86
>>> (32bit or 64bit). I plan to attempt to build for PPC as well.
>>
>> Aleksey has already been doing this in several activities, I think it
>> would be very interesting if the Activity Team could come with a
>> recommendation and perhaps with some tools to make it easier for
>> activity authors.
>
> FWIW, this is way outside my expertise and pain threshold.
>
> For my own Activities I've been careful to go 100% Python, and avoid, where
> possible, getting involved with any Activities that contain any binary
> stuff. Happy to use binary libs that are part of the official platform, but
> that's my threshold.

I think that's actually a quite good recommendation ;)

Another is that if you need to include binary stuff for whatever
reason, that you have a long term plan in which your activity won't
have to ship a binary blob any more, for example by adding the needed
API to an existing library, etc.

Regards,

Tomeu