[Sugar-devel] SoAS Testing with XS

Greg Smith gregsmithpm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:34:43 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline et al,

That helps. I noted four possible network configuration here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Goals#Solid_Collaboration

I have to warn you that this is very hard area. It reminds me of
trying to catch minnows in Herring Pond with my son. You scoop the
bucket in to a school of them but they always slip away by the time
you pull it out of the water.

Here's one of my previous attempts to snare the slippery fish:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_Collaboration_Requirements

That said, taking out the wireless variable will really help!

How about we write down a set of use cases from user, GUI interaction
level. These can turn in to test cases.

Here's one basic one:

Environment:
- 10 or fewer Sugar computers collaborating locally on a LAN no server
(case 1 from Goals page).
- LAN includes Hub (no switch?)

Use case:
- All computers boot up (any configurations/setting needed?)
- All computers see each other in the network neighborhood
- One computer starts the chat activity
- Other computers see the chat in the network neighborhood and join
- All 10 can chat at the same time.

What other details is that case missing? SW version numbers and computer HW?

If we write down a few simple cases which we can reproduce quickly
that will help.

To support the server cases, I think we need two test servers (one for
in school and one on internet). We also need 1 - 3 adventurous sys
admins to help manage them. I'll ask around but I don't know anyone
for sure.

Anyone on the list want to help?

Doesn't have to be local to Boston but we could use ~10 hours/week and
experience locking down/protecting public servers. The high level goal
is to have test beds in support of GPA. Caroline is in charge of
interaction with the school IT department and anything actually in the
school. The additional servers and admins are to mirror that, run
tests and validate configurations as needed. Sort of a tier two plus
bleeding edge type support.

Thanks,

Greg S

****************************

> Caroline,

The long term goal is that students at GPA can collaborate with each other
from school and home.  Thus long term we need a Jabber server and a machine
connected to the internet.  We could host it at Solution Grove or physically
locate it at the school. I think learning about the tradeoffs between these
approaches is one of our goals for the pilot.

For this summer if we got collaboration working locally in the Computer Room
we'd have a better experience then the current no collaboration.  We have an
extra computer we can use as an XS. I'll need to buy/scavange another
network card.

Does that help?

Thanks,
Caroline