[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 3 00:25:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:29:47AM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2009, at 02:40, Gary C Martin wrote:
>
>> On 1 Jul 2009, at 10:54, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, that will be great. I think Walter already submitted a patch to
>>> move the file types up.
>>
>> Yea, saw the patch from Walter, that alone should help even if we
>> stall on doing more.
>>
>> I have a mock-up I was experimenting with grid layouts, still
>> tinkering, and I can't think of a good 'filter' icon for the
>> replacement button (a common one seems to be a funnel shape) :-)
>>
>> The Journal filters for 'Anything', 'Anytime', the proposed 'Anyone',
>> and my below 'Tag' filters can all become toolbar icons (not text).
>> This saves a heap of toolbar space, and allows room for a couple more
>> buttons on the far right for 'Grid' and current 'List' view.
>
> Aleksey was keen to see any Journal mock-up work in progress I had,
> early as possible, so here's where I'm at :-) There's plenty to do
> still, images are intended to help bounce ideas about, poke at the grey
> matter between our ears, and get a feel for how things could (or not) be
> done:
>
> 	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal#Tollbar_and_palettes

Some thoughts:

* what about adding ultra compact list view for objects(not actions)
  like list view in Library[1]
  the purpose is, if user has lots of objects it could be useful idea to
  show as much as possible objects on one screen

  * having several column/grid layouts
    for example its very useful for books to have columns for author,
    genre, date; so, user can see the whole valuable info at once and sort
    objects by these columns; and so separate layouts for video audio
    etc. files

* additional types of filters
  for example Library has[2] several types to filter objects

  * user tags
  * object traits(additional columns from previous section) like author,
    genre, date for books
  * activity creators(grouping by activity_id field)
  * types of objects(like top section in filter palette)[3]
  * filter by participants
  * filter by sources(if we are in shared mode)

  I'm not sure that all of these modes are useful, but something could
  be(or another types)

* several levels of chosen filters
  dunno about others but for me its very useful
  (see bottom panel on [4])
  for example I can filter all text/plane files and separate from them
  only objects that were made by Terminal activity

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:-3.png
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:-1.png
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal#.232
[4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:-4.png