[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jul 2 23:29:47 EDT 2009

On 2 Jul 2009, at 02:40, Gary C Martin wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2009, at 10:54, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:14, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
>> wrote:
>>> - Better Anything toolbar filter palette (use a grid layout to
>>> minimise
>>> scrolling)
>>
>> Yeah, that will be great. I think Walter already submitted a patch to
>> move the file types up.
>
> Yea, saw the patch from Walter, that alone should help even if we
> stall on doing more.
>
> I have a mock-up I was experimenting with grid layouts, still
> tinkering, and I can't think of a good 'filter' icon for the
> replacement button (a common one seems to be a funnel shape) :-)
>
> The Journal filters for 'Anything', 'Anytime', the proposed 'Anyone',
> and my below 'Tag' filters can all become toolbar icons (not text).
> This saves a heap of toolbar space, and allows room for a couple more
> buttons on the far right for 'Grid' and current 'List' view.

Aleksey was keen to see any Journal mock-up work in progress I had,
early as possible, so here's where I'm at :-) There's plenty to do
still, images are intended to help bounce ideas about, poke at the
grey matter between our ears, and get a feel for how things could (or
not) be done:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal#Tollbar_and_palettes

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Please, anyone have a better idea for an 'Anything' icon kicking
about? I'll be darned if I'm leaving the filter/funnel icon in place
very long (but it does seem fairly standard for a filter graphic)...