[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Thu Jul 2 00:08:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:43:38PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> in this week we want to talk about the Journal and datastore [1]
> improvements planned for 0.86.
I really hope to make it (my GSoC work depends on it - there's a lot of
stuff to talk about and some decisions to make) but am not sure I can
(especially given how flakey internet access is ATM). Would be great to
at least be able to read the meeting logs afterwards (as usual).

[1] contains my thoughts on a VCS based datastore rewrite - a bit
fleshed out now, but still not finished. The most important part for now
is that I'd like to change the find() API call to take two parameters
instead of one. Right now, the single parameter is a mixture of a query
(giving key-value pairs that entries must match to be returned) and of
output options (sorting order etc.). As we need to change API for
version support anyway I'd like to seize that opportunity to fix this
mess (no offense intended).

While the document currently mentions the index backend quite often I
might actually skip it at first and use only the database backend
instead. Xapian (an Information Retrieval system used by the current
datastore to provide simple metadata search) is very interesting and
could be quite useful for a future FindMyData activity - but IMO with a
new API focussing on probabilistic information retrieval, including
spell checking and partial queries (Xapian "term"s seem to correlate
quite well with Sugar "tags", BTW). The basic attribute search stuff
currently used is IMO best done using a database, not an IR system.

The document is largely a braindump, not a design document yet. So
please overlook the rough edges and the fact that I'm proposing a full
rewrite - I might end up recycling a large part of the current code
base, but thinking of it as a "new" thing helps me see things more
clearly.

[1]
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/versionsupport-project/repos/mainline/blobs/master/datastore-redesign.html

CU Sascha