[Sugar-devel] Soas name

Caroline Meeks caroline at meekshome.com
Wed Jan 28 18:59:46 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:

> To the contrary, the words Sugar on a Stick actually mean something.
> Actually they mean two things:  Sugar environment on a USB stick in the
> context of software, and a kind of candy in the context of food.

+1

I've talked to a lot of people about this concept.  Based on my experience I
want a name that I can say and people can get some idea of what I mean.
Then I can joke and say "code name Lollipop" and give out lollipops, but
first I need people to know what I'm talking about.  But Sugar on a Stick
has a ring to it and communicates.

If we want to name the release candidates lollipop-1 lollipop-2 etc. I'm ok
with that. I have no attachment to the acronym SoaS.  But the official
project name for Sugar on a Stick should stay "Sugar on a Stick".

Thanks,
Caroline

> Lollipop or Rock Candy means nothing in the context of software unless you
> *know* you are also in the context of Sugar environments.  .
>
> I think that if we are producing an "Official" Sugar distribution that is
> intended to run on XOs, PCs, USB sticks, emulators, etc. perhaps SoaS is a
> little too specific.
>
> Regards,
> Wade
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
>
>> Or "rock candy" :)
>>
>> -lf
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at firmworks.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The name "Soas" lacks pizazz.  How about "lollipop"?  After all, a
>>> lollipop is just ..

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com