[Sugar-devel] SoaS on the XO progress

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 22 20:05:49 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 18:01 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> Some extra steps:
>
>    > * Clone git://git.fedoraproject.org/spin-kickstarts
>    > * If you want F10 apply spin.patch
>    > * Apply live.patch in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/imgcreate
>
>    * sudo yum -y install livecd-tools mtd-utils crcimg
>    * If you're building on F10, s/ext4/ext3/ in fedora-live-base.ks
>
>    > * sudo livecd-creator --cache=cache -c fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
>
> I'm still not able to get the images I create to boot on the XO -- could
> you confirm that you're using the Fedora kernel and initrd?  I wonder
> what else could be different between our setups..
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Chris.

Chris what are you using for the /boot/olpc.fth file? I have luck using
the below, in that file, on a usb-drive:

\ Boot script for USB boot
hex  rom-pa fffc7 + 4 $number drop  h# 2e19 < [if]
  patch 2drop erase claim-params
  : high-ramdisk  ( -- )
     cv-load-ramdisk
     h# 22c +lp l@ 1+   memory-limit  umin  /ramdisk - ffff.f000 and
( new-ramdisk-adr )
     ramdisk-adr over  /ramdisk move ( new-ramdisk-adr )
     to ramdisk-adr
  ;
  ' high-ramdisk to load-ramdisk
[then]

: set-bootpath-dev  ( -- )
   " /chosen" find-package  if                       ( phandle )
      " bootpath" rot  get-package-property  0=  if  ( propval$ )
         get-encoded-string                          ( bootpath$ )
         [char] \ left-parse-string  2nip            ( dn$ )
         dn-buf place                                ( )
      then
   then

   " /sd"  dn-buf  count  sindex  0>=   if
          " sd:"
   else
          " u:"
   then
   " BOOTPATHDEV" $set-macro
;

set-bootpath-dev
" text ks=hd:LABEL=XSRepo:/ks.cfg  " to boot-file
" ${BOOTPATHDEV}\boot\initrd.img" expand$ to ramdisk
" ${BOOTPATHDEV}\boot\vmlinuz" expand$ to boot-device
unfreeze
boot

The above code is found in the latest livecd-tools and is added if you
pass --XO on the cmdline. I'm booting the xs-05 installer with the above
code, you would have to edit:   "" to boot-file for that boot arguments
you want and the vmlinuz and initrd.img lines or make links pointing to
the real files.

Jerry