[Sugar-devel] .rpms vs .xos for Activity packaging

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 13 09:38:06 EST 2009

Aleksey,

You are taking on a hughly import piece of the puzzle.  Mozilla
struggled, and continues to struggle, to figure out how to package and
distribute addons.

Addons, for the most part,  just work on the windows platform, because
developers know what resources and apis are available.  This becomes
more complicated on Linux bcause distributions provide different
resources.  As such, some packages must be packaged in the native
package management systems to pull in dependencies and interact with
the system.

Other packages can build on top of Mozilla.

Between this and the users space/root issues, this will be an
interesting, challenging, and unsolved problem:)

david