[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] How to Make Activity Designers Happy , Parts I and II

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:49:28 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 15:18 -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>
> > (3) We need lots more Activities.
>
> While there is consensus on this point, there is not consensus on the
> best way to get a lot more Activities. That is, pulling a lot more
> developers into building learning activities that run on Sugar.

There is a related point regarding Sugar idealism.  Sugar was designed with
a very specific notion of what an activity: collaborative, constructivist,
stores in the Journal, view source, written in PyGTK using the supplied
frameworks.

The current inability to run Flash, Javascript or even GTK programs under
Sugar is linked to this initial choice.

More recently, a consensus seems to have developed that it is worthwhile to
include less "ideal" activities, in the name of having those activities at
all.

I think it is worth recognizing this change so as to encourage related
development efforts.

-Wade