[Sugar-devel] XO wireless interface problem when AP down

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 10 09:59:40 EDT 2009

Hi Andres,

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:50, Andrés
Nacelle<anacelle at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> Hello, I´ve been working recently with something like 70 XO and during the
> tests where I had 2 Access Point working, it happened that the electric
> supply from one of this failed without me realising. So I keep trying to
> associate to this AP with at least 30 XO and after 5 or 6 tries the wireless
> interface decided to turn down by it´s own. If i try to run a iwlist eth0 sc
> the message of interface unavailable or something like that came and
> checking with ifconfig I realise that the eth was really down. Using
> ifconfig eth0 up it came alive again but after trying to associate again it
> turn down.
>
> I don´t know if this is a buy or something done on purpose but it I would ad
> this to my personal list of bad working stuff of the wireless area (wireless
> board and network manager). Just think about it, you try to connect with an
> AP a couple of times and when you realise it´s not answering and try to
> connect with some other you can´t do it because your network interface is
> down.

Agreed.

> Any comment or idea of how to stop this from happening would be really
> welcome

First thing I would do is to see if the bug/misfeature is in
NetworkManager or in a lower level. For that, we could try to
reproduce it and when the interface gets down, see if there's any
useful info in /var/log/messages.

Also will be very useful if we find a way to reproduce it reliably.
Also, if you can manage to reproduce it in a non-XO machine with plain
Fedora 9, then it's most probably NetworkManager.

I'm adding devel at lists.laptop.org to CC because this is most probably
not related to Sugar.

Thanks for the heads up,

Tomeu