[sugar] Sugar on the BeagleBoard using the OpenEmbedded toolkit.

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Fri Sep 5 03:14:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Op 3 sep 2008, om 22:14 heeft Edward Cherlin het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Op 22 aug 2008, om 02:29 heeft David Farning het volgende geschreven:

>> Very good. Thank you.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I assume that OE is intended to be all Free Software
>
> OE is 'merely' a buildsystem (something like gentoos portage or GNOMEs
> jhbuild) and its metadata is MIT licensed.

OK. What are your intentions, if any, for builds made using this
system? Is it simply up to the builer? Have any projects announced
licensing plans?

>> , and I see
>> scattered references to GPL 2 in the Wiki, but I don't see a clear
>> statement on licensing on the main page or in the FAQ. Can somebody
>> write one?
>
> I'm unsure what is needed beyond the COPYING.MIT in topdir of the
> repository. The licensing of your buildsystem should have no bearing on the
> resulting distribution.

Well, that's in the repository, not in the Wiki. How does a newbie
know where to look if you don't have a Wiki page that lays it out?

>> Also, one or more architecture pages showing the toolchain,
>> relationships with other Free Software projects, and the structure of
>> the resulting builds?
>
> As a buildsystem OE has relationships with the interpreter used (bitbake,
> hosted at berlios) and it's users (angstrom, nslu2-linux, openmoko, etc).

Fine. Let's see that. All of it. Don't assume that I or someone else
coming in new knows any of it. If you want to make assumptions about
what new people know, tell us what those assumptions are so that we
can go elsewhere and learn about them.

> I suspect you are confusing OE with a distribution (which angstrom is), it
> is not a distro, it's a distro builder :) If you aren't confusing it, please
> elaborate on what you want to know so we can send the doc team to fix it.

Just have them pretend that these are Frequently Asked Questions,
since I predict that they will be. If my questions assume what is not
stated, that means you have to make a clear statement in order to
prevent others asking the same thing.

> regards,
>
> Koen

Thanks.

>>> The basics (sugar, sugar-base, sugar-toolkit, sugar-presence-services and
>>> sugar-artwork) are now running on the beagleboard:
>>>
>>> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/sugar-running-?ngstr?m
>>>
>>> To build it using OE: 'bitbake sugar'
>>> To install it in angstrom*: 'opkg install sugar'
>>>
>>> The Glucose pack is missing sugar-datastore (needs a lot of python
>>> modules
>>> that aren't in OE yet), etoys (haven't looked at that yet) and journal
>>> (haven't looked at that either).
>>> The Fructose pack is completely missing in OE.
>>>
>>> The remaining tasks for people wanting to work on this are:
>>>
>>> 1) add OE recipes for needed python-modules
>>> 2) add OE recipes for remaining Glucose items
>>> 3) add OE recipes for Fructose items
>>> 4) build it