[sugar] Update.1 RC3: candidate-703 Published!

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz
Mon Mar 31 20:40:53 EDT 2008

Well, allmost ;-) ...

> From: bert at freudenbergs.de
> To: devel at lists.laptop.org
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:58:14 +0200
> CC: sugar at lists.laptop.org
> Subject: Re: [sugar] Update.1 RC3: candidate-703 Published!

> >> no problem

> >> -bash-3.2# python update-activities.py (auto complete worked for
> >> the command)
> >> switching to user olpc ...
> >> bash: update-activities.py: command not found
> >>
> >> what am I missing?
> >
> > Run it as user olpc instead of root.
>
> That, or
>
> 	chmod +x update-activities.py
> 	./update-activities.py
>
> Looks like my user-switching hack does not work when run as "python
> update-activities.py".
>
> - Bert -

Since my system came back with no activities (and a new bios) the only way to do something was ctrl-alt-f2.
Enter got me logged in as root. As such
wget dev.laptop.org/~bert/update-activities.py    worked, then did
chmod +x update-activities.py        and
./update-activities.py       same result as before (--> switching to user olpc ...
> >> bash: update-activities.py: command not found)
switching to user olpc didn't help right away since now I couldn't see the file (belonging to root and being in root's ~) anymore... And I couldn't download it as olpc to its ~ because dev.laptop.org couldn't be resolved (as olpc)
So I turned root again and copied update-activities.py to /home/olpc, changed the owner
chown olpc:olpc update-activities.py         turned root again
su olpc          Then
./update-activities.py worked (If this doesn't work for someone else, remember I did the
chmod +x update-activities.py   early on...)
ctrl-alt-f3 got my back to the sugar interface

I encountered a bunch of "caution: excluded filename not matched: mimetype", but I don't know if this has any consequences.
The order of the activity Icons has greatly changed - is there a way for me to influence their order of appearance?

Thanks for the hints, I couldn't have done without.
Stefan

Windows Live Messenger: Direkter Zugriff auf Ihre E-Mails! Ohne Neuanmeldung!
http://get.live.com/de-de/messenger/overview