[sugar] during booting, previous stuff shows up on screen, then goes away

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Sun Mar 30 20:06:00 EDT 2008

Happens (or does not) randomly:  During the interval between when
OFW stops writing the screen (e.g., after the circle of dots has
been drawn, and the non-color doughnut is first being shown) and
when Sugar starts writing the screen (i.e., when the Frame is drawn
and the colored "me" icon is shown in the center of the doughnut) :

Occasionally something not appropriate to Sugar-startup gets drawn
on my XO screen.

--------

Was __VERY__ confusing a moment ago  [G1G1; Q2D14a; developer key;
recent (approximately equal to 1815) Joyride] :

After the non-color doughnut was drawn, what was shown on the screen
was an exact image of what OFW booting shows.  In fact, I thought
the XO had re-booted itself -- except for no tune being played.
But I left the XO alone -- and a while later, Sugar did come up.
[So looking like it rebooted was a false visual alarm.]

--------

Other days (using earlier build levels and ROMs;  not limited to
Joyride) I've seen the (presumably) console3 output lines shown
briefly (perhaps OFW re-painted the screen); or have had the whole
screen go half-illuminated (nothing showing) when the OFW circle of
dots had reached 11 o'clock (the half-dark was "escaped from" only
when Sugar drew its Main screen).  In all cases, Sugar eventually
came up and showed what is was supposed to.

--------

My guess is that the screen has been told by OFW what to show, but
some sort of (stray?) signal randomly comes along which causes a
previous image (screen-buffer?) to be shown instead.

When that previous image makes it appear as though the XO is
re-booting itself, that is  NOT  what you want the user to see.

mikus